wp protocolCPALC Communities Parish and Local Councils

Passionate about Parishes This site uses cookies, by using this site you accept the use of cookies. Click here to find out more.

Where would you like to go next?                Use the menu above or Click on an icon below...


Go to the Public Home page



Go to the Members home page


Read the

Go to the parish news

Parish News


Go to the Cpalc Directory


Key Public

CPALC Public Information


Become a

Become a parish councillor


Become a

Become a parish clerk



About town and parish councils



About town and parish councillors



About town and parish clerks


About Town and Parish Councillors

Q: How do I complain about a parish councillor?

Since the Localism Act 2012 complaining about a town or parish councillor is a post code lottery. There is no longer a national body to oversee standards. In theory you should complain to the council itself. Principal authority monitoring officers have no power to enforce decisions or actions on town or parish councils or councillors.

From May 2008, if you want to make a complaint about the behaviour of a Councillor, you must write to the relevant District, County or Unitary Council’s Standards Committee.

A Best Practice Guide for residents and councils is available for FREE to all registered site members.

Click here to download or view the Best Practice Guide on Complaining... (74 kB)

Since the 2012 Localism Act the following are no longer valid. We have left them to show what public rights have been removed.

To read the rest of this article please LOGIN or Join for FREE 

Share This Page

All content, materials, screens are copyrighted and are for personal use. Materials may not be reprinted or distributed in any form without explicit permission in writing.