Many town and parish councils own or rent land or other property which they seek to secure and protect. In some cases the protection and security may be barbed wire which has been in place for a long time.

Whilst barbed wire may secure the property its use is not without risk to the council.

This guide is a basic introduction to the use of barbed wire on council property boundaries. It is intended for residents, clerks and councillors.


Article Contents - Click on a link below

The Legal background

Normal practice

Deeds and covenants

Risk assessment and internal audit



This guide is indicative and not definitive, it is not intended to be a comprehensive list of legal requirements. It is not intended to be an internal audit manual.


Please Register, Login or Subscribe to