Before the skills, some requirements!
- You are willing to put yourself forward as a councillor
- If opposed, the electorate chooses you.
- If elected, you are prepared to make time and the effort to be an effective Councillor
What will you do as a local councillor?
- Engage with the local community and keep up-to-date with issues of local concern
- Provide a voice for all sections of the community
- Mediate between individuals and organisation
- Campaign on behalf of the Council or individuals
- Manage public funds and seek best value
- Seek out and listen to others’ views
- Listen actively, ask questions, check understanding
- Be objective and rigorous in analysing and evaluating complex information
- Present information clearly, concisely and accurately and avoid ‘jargon’
- Keep people informed through regular feedback
- Know who to speak to or write to
- Develop IT skills – e-government
- Represent the Council and the community
- Have a clear vision and communicate this to others
- Be results oriented, lead by example
- Take responsibility
- Champion initiatives and implement change
- Foster a culture of trust, empowerment and participation
- Develop public speaking skills
Please Register, Login or Subscribe to read more...